Santilli placed a live Christmas tree inside an intern's apartment and took air samples for two weeks. (Santilli keeps his Christmas tree on a porch until Christmas Eve.)
For the first three days, the mold counts inside the apartment hovered around 800 spores per cubic meter of air, compared with a normal range of 500 to 700 spores per cubic meter. But by day 14, the mold count had skyrocketed to 5,000 spores per cubic meter. ...
Although the medical community has long known about "Christmas tree allergy," there has been some debate over what causes the sneezing, runny noses and watery eyes — pollen or mold.
—Linda Shrieves, "Christmas tress may be adding to your holiday sniffles," Orlando Sentinel, November 22, 2007
"I think he was the first person to document it," Lackner said, "which he always laughs about with me because he's Jewish."
—Naomi Powell, "A lifetime of Wyse choices," Guelph Mercury, July 19, 2003
'It happens every year about this time,' said Glen Castleberry of the Tulsa City-County Health Department's air quality division.
'We call it the Christmas tree allergy,' said Tulsa allergy specialist Dr. Leon Horowitz.
—"National News Briefs," United Press International, December 17, 1981